Some Childhood Video Games
I've always liked many kind of video games. I enjoy almost every genre and get sometimes hooked very easily. These are my random picks of the games I used to play around the age 5 to 13. Now when I think about it, I definitely did not play a huge variety of different kind of games as a kid since my parents were quite strict about it. Most games I present I got to know from my friends and played mostly with them at their homes, until I was old enough to buy the equipments and the games myself. These are the ones I mostly remember. I didn't put them all here and I might have forgotten some, but was happy to find out the names of the few which I hadn't seen in a long time.
The first video game I ever tried was when I was around 5 years old. It was Crock Legend Of The Gobbos for Play Station 1. It was a 3D platformer game and I just loved it instantly as a kid. I got it together with my sister year later as a present. It took me really long time to play all the worlds trough, but in the end it became also the first one I ever finished completely.
This year I got to play Crock again as my friends downloaded a bunch of old videogames to their computer, including this one. I tried it and yes it was nostalgic, but wow I was amazed how bad the graphics were! And the controls sucked so hard, no wonder it was critisized about it a lot as I read later. Also the worlds looked and felt very empty, not having lot to do or lot of decoration going on at all and things became quickly repetive. The gobbos were as adorable as I remembered though. :)
Probably the first games I ever played on computer were some jumping/shooting platformer games by Apogee Softwares: like the good old Commander Keen series. :D I haven't touched those since childhood so it was tricky to even find them online since I didn't remember the names of the games anymore. Luckily I eventually did and they looked about just like I was remembering. I still really like the old and simple aesthetics of these games. It would be fun to try them again just to see how quickly I could play them trough now.
There were lot of other games I played and there are some honorable mentions:
Kommander Keen Dreams
Donkey Kong Country
I remember the comic cat Garfiel having a web page with different kind of free online games and that was popular among my friends back in elementary school. The one I best remember was Garfield Scary Scavenger Hunt. It was a must play in Halloween times especially.
The Sims was of course one of the game series I enjoyed playing with my friends. We usually ended up completely fooling around with the characters, or just motherloading our way to beautifully decorating the houses. The classic ways of playing it. Sometimes it felt that trying to play seriously got just even more absurd. I remember my friend getting a dragon egg from some expansion she bought, and she was trying really hard keeping everything nice and working. But the baby dragon was the most difficult creature, ended up burning the house and people all the time driving her nuts. What fun times :)
And yes, Habbo Hotel was a big thing when I was a kid. I playd it a lot with my friends, I had some furnitures etc. there and even so called ''relationship''... :D This was probably the first game I played online in real time with a lot of unknown people.
The Heroes 3 Of Might and Macic surely deserves to be on the list. It was the game I probably spent most hours in my childhood. At first I played at my friends a lot but some years later I bought it for myself aswell. I just loved the fantasy style of the game, great music and all different towns with their creatures. And how exciting it always was to see the enemy appear first time! I played the game so much that I remembered every map of it. I also made some maps myself with the mapmaker too.
The game eventually started to feel too easy and boring after all the years, I tried some of the other games of the sequel but those didn't keep me interested because of their different styles. I haven't tried this since High School but I can still remember some musics and the look of it, and I should definitely try few games soon again for the nostalgia. I hope it has aged well. :D
In addition to other strategy games I got to try out some Star Craft and World Of Warcraft and enjoyed those both games a lot. But mostly I just watched some friends play them as these games were too expensive to get for myself. :P
Fighting games
Those were quite big too in my childhood. Some of the early Tekken games were the ones I got to try first from this genre. There were lot of options, and one of them I best remember was actually very old Snes game Ranma 1/2 Chougi Ranbu Hen. I had my time of being huge fan of Rumiko Takahashi so that probably explains it. We just played that one a lot with my sister and some friends. Then later time I remember playing a lot of 3D game called Soulcalibur 3.
I downloaded both of those games a couple of years ago. Ranma game felt unbelievably easy now and I played it trough very quickly. I could maye play Soulcalibur some more especially as there seems to be lot of sequels to try aswell.













Comments
Post a Comment